About Me

fredag 16 maj 2014

7th week of Big Game (Week 21)

GGC is getting close! After some more testing I felt I needed to do an overhaul of my map. I needed to point out paths more clearly and have landmarks so players know where to go. This has been the biggest problem for a long time and it's really hard to fix with the limited amount of time we have left. In hindsight I should have made the map a lot more flat so the skybox you be visible all the time, and have landmark objects that are very high. But it is as it is. So I am trying to do the best with the situation and remake my map a bit.

Firstly I have made all paths more clear, and the aliens have put up signs on the roads they traverse (a very nice coincident with players not finding the way). I did this by directing all paths forward, or at least not sideways or back. Before, some paths led to the extreme left or right. So players would get lost and start going towards the beginning of the map instead of the end. I use arrow signs a lot and large blocking objects to guide the player onwards.


Also I have added grass on my map! We got feedback that we didn't have much foreground detail so the grass helps with that alot. I also use the grass to creat paths, or rather, I don't use grass to create paths. (the paths have no grass, thats how you see they are paths)


I add paths that are harder to see, and you can still go pretty much wherever you want, but I'm trying to make the map so you actively have to schoose if you want to go off path, rathar than just being lost. Also reward players that go off path, so player might explore on their own.

Next week the map will probably be completely finished, lets hope people can find their way to the end on the beta!

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar